So I was informed by some friends last night, that I need to update my blog and write something in it. So here it is.
This past weekend I was in Arizona for my Grandpa's funeral. He died on Valentine's Day at about 3:00 in the morning. He was 93 years old.
It was kind of weird. I was not really that close to my Grandma and Grandpa on my dad's side. They have always lived in Arizona and I have always lived in Utah, so I only saw them the once in a while that my family would go there or them here. I have more feelings for my dad, and his sadness, then my own sadness.
The service was really good. My dad gave a really good talk on my grandpa's life history. I found out some things about him that I didn't really know, like when he was in 9th grade (I think) he got scarlet fever and was so sick, that he missed that whole year in school and had to take it over. Also I also learned from my Uncle's talk, that a little before he died, my grandpa had a blessing and in the blessing my grandpa was told that my grandma was anxiously awaiting his arrival and that he could leave this earth and go to her, but that he had a choice. That if he wanted to, he could stay and he would heal and be able continue his life on this earth. I am glad that he went. I know that if I was that old and sick, I would much rather be in heaven with my sweetheart, than here in this life without him.
The graveside service was really neat. My grandpa was a World War II Vet, so two of the national guard came and did a solute to him and actually ended up giving the American flag that was on his casket to my brother, who is in the army. When they handed the flag to my brother, they said that they appreciate all that he (my grandpa) did for our country and how much he was basically repected and loved for that choice that he had made all those years ago.
I am grateful for my grandpa and for serving our country, to make it a place where I can live how I live in Freedom.
I am happy that I went. I was ready to come home and sleep in my own bed, but I was glad that I could go there and support my dad.
3 days ago
1 comments:
Thanks for the update, so sorry about your Grandpa. By the way, I think I am going to do an easter egg hunt the week before Easter. I will let you know more later.
Post a Comment