Friday, November 14, 2008

I don't want to get old!!

Yesterday, I went and visited my Grandpa in his retirement home. When I got there he was sitting in the front room, watching TV with his "friends" He looked at me and said, hi and went on watching the show. I sat by him and he just kept looking at me. Then he says, "You kind of look like someone I know." I almost cried. I really don't want to get old and not remember my grandkids. I had to tell him, like 5 times, that I was his granddaughter. He just kept looking confused and asking who my dad was, how old I was, whose daughter I was? It is really sad to me. I was thinking last night about, how he was when I was younger and how alert and knowledgeable he was and now he is just old and can't remember me.
I wanted to post a picture of my Papa. This is him at Alexa's blessing, so almost a year and a half ago. Even in that short time he is so much more frail and old. Time is really taking a toll on him.

2 comments:

Brian and Becca said...

That is so hard. Does he have Alzheimers or dementia? Well Thats great that you still visit him.

Nick and Tanya and Family said...

Hey there, I am sorry to hear that. My Grandfather has dementia and is in a home right now, I try to visit offten, but it is so hard and it breaks my heart everytime I go as well, the worse part latley is his speach is starting to go. By the way we really need to get together, how does your scheadul look this week?